In this episode, I describe science-based protocols to set and achieve your goals in a way that maximizes the likelihood of reaching them. I explain how to define a priority and reach a specific goal by systematically assessing the challenge level, measurability, milestones, and action states needed to make progress from start to finish. I also explain research-supported tools to improve your performance during cognitive or physical goal work — including directed visualization, variable reward timing, and optimizing your physical environment. I also dispel common myths about goal setting and achievement. This episode provides a science-supported toolkit of zero-cost strategies for goal-setting, goal-pursuit, and goal-completion that can be applied to any physical or cognitive endeavor.
Huberman Lab Episodes
- The Science of Setting & Achieving Goals
- Dr. Maya Shankar: How to Shape Your Identity & Goals
- Dr. Emily Balcetis: Tools for Setting & Achieving Goals
- Focus Toolkit: Tools to Improve Your Focus & Concentration
- Leverage Dopamine to Overcome Procrastination & Optimize Effort
- Controlling Your Dopamine For Motivation, Focus & Satisfaction
- Time Perception & Entrainment by Dopamine, Serotonin & Hormones
Huberman Lab Neural Network Newsletters
- Teach & Learn Better With A “Neuroplasticity Super Protocol”
- Tools to Manage Dopamine and Improve Motivation & Drive
- Foundational Fitness Protocol
Join 400,000+ subscribers to get regular emails on neuroscience, health, and science-related tools from Dr. Andrew Huberman.
Plus, you’ll also get Andrew’s exclusive Daily Blueprint, where Andrew shares his daily routine, and outlines practical protocols you can use to stay productive and maximize your health.