In this episode, I explain the biology of the common cold and flu (influenza) and how the immune system combats these infections.
I describe behavior, nutrition and supplementation-based tools supported by peer-reviewed research to enhance immune system function and better combat colds and flu. I also dispel common myths about how the cold and flu are transmitted and when you and those around you are contagious.
I explain if common preventatives and treatments such as vitamin C, zinc, vitamin D and echinacea work. I also highlight other compounds known to reduce contracting and duration of colds and flu.
I discuss how to use exercise and sauna to bolster the immune response.
This episode will help listeners understand how to reduce the chances of catching a cold or flu and help people recover more quickly from and prevent the spread of colds and flu.
- A social chemosignaling function for human handshaking (eLife)
- There is chemistry in social chemistry (ScienceAdvances)
- Alterations in Oral–Nasal–Pharyngeal Microbiota and Salivary Proteins in Mouth-Breathing Children (Frontiers in Microbiology)
- Human nasal microbiota (Current Biology)
- How (and why) the immune system makes us sleep (Nature Reviews Neuroscience)
- The compelling link between physical activity and the body's defense system (Journal of Sport and Health Science)
- The effects of a single and a series of Finnish sauna sessions on the immune response and HSP-70 levels in trained and untrained men (International Journal of Hyperthermia)
- Retracted: Extra Dose of Vitamin C Based on a Daily Supplementation Shortens the Common Cold: A Meta-Analysis of 9 Randomized Controlled Trials (BioMed Research International)
- Vitamin D supplementation to prevent acute respiratory tract infections: systematic review and meta-analysis of individual participant data (BMJ)
- Attenuation of influenza-like symptomatology and improvement of cell-mediated immunity with long-term N-acetylcysteine treatment (European Respiratory Journal)
Huberman Lab Episodes Mentioned
- Dr. Noam Sobel: How Smells Influence Our Hormones, Health & Behavior
- Sleep Toolkit: Tools for Optimizing Sleep & Sleep-Wake Timing
- How to Enhance Your Gut Microbiome for Brain & Overall Health
- Tools for Managing Stress & Anxiety
- Dr. Justin Sonnenburg: How to Build, Maintain & Repair Gut Health
- Fitness Toolkit: Protocol & Tools to Optimize Physical Health
- Using Your Nervous System to Enhance Your Immune System
- Guest Series with Dr. Andy Galpin
Join 400,000+ subscribers to get regular emails on neuroscience, health, and science-related tools from Dr. Andrew Huberman.
Plus, you’ll also get Andrew’s exclusive Daily Blueprint, where Andrew shares his daily routine, and outlines practical protocols you can use to stay productive and maximize your health.