In this episode, I explain a specific writing protocol shown in hundreds of scientific studies to significantly improve immediate and long-term health. I explain how to implement this specific protocol, which takes only four days and 15-30 minutes per day. I also explain the mechanism for how the four-day writing protocol affects neuroplasticity (brain rewiring) and brain function in the short and long term. I explain how these brain changes positively impact our physical health, including our system's immune function and thus our ability to combat infections, improve sleep, reduce feelings of physical and emotional pain, lower anxiety, and bring about healing from traumas. This episode ought to be of interest to anyone seeking better mental and/or physical health through the use of brief yet highly effective science-supported protocols.
- Confronting a traumatic event: toward an understanding of inhibition and disease (Journal of Abnormal Psychology)
- Natural emotion vocabularies as windows on distress and well-being (Nature Communications)
- Disclosure of traumas and immune function: Health implications for psychotherapy (Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology)
- Putting Feelings Into Words (Psychological Science)
- Increasing honesty in humans with noninvasive brain stimulation (Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences)
- The β1-adrenergic receptor links sympathetic nerves to T cell exhaustion (Nature)
- Writing About Emotional Experiences as a Therapeutic Process (Psychological Science)
- Brain and body are more intertwined than we knew (Nature)
- Therapeutic Journaling (VA Office of Patient Centered Care and Cultural Transformation)
- "Opening Up by Writing It Down: How Expressive Writing Improves Health and Eases Emotional Pain"
- "Trauma: The Invisible Epidemic: How Trauma Works and How We Can Heal From It"
- Dr. James Pennebaker
- Dr. Paul Conti: Therapy, Treating Trauma & Other Life Challenges (Huberman Lab episode)
- Guest Series | Dr. Paul Conti: How to Understand & Assess Your Mental Health (Huberman Lab episode)
- Science of Social Bonding in Family, Friendship & Romantic Love (Huberman Lab episode)
- Using Your Nervous System to Enhance Your Immune System (Huberman Lab episode)
- Tools for Managing Stress & Anxiety (Huberman Lab episode)
Join 400,000+ subscribers to get regular emails on neuroscience, health, and science-related tools from Dr. Andrew Huberman.
Plus, you’ll also get Andrew’s exclusive Daily Blueprint, where Andrew shares his daily routine, and outlines practical protocols you can use to stay productive and maximize your health.