In this episode, I discuss the causes and treatments of different types of headaches, including tension headaches, migraines, sinus and cluster headaches, as well as menstrual and other hormone-based headaches. I describe how to distinguish between the different headache types and how to select the right treatment, including prescription-based and non-prescription-based treatments, behavioral and nutrition-based approaches. I also explain the evidence and mechanisms supporting the use of omega-3 fatty acids, high dose creatine, peppermint oil, turmeric, acupuncture and more. Additionally, I touch on traumatic brain injury, the causes of photophobia, aura, and the link between spicy foods and thunderclap headaches. By the end of this episode, listeners and viewers will have a comprehensive understanding of headaches, their types and the best way to prevent and stop them.
- Prevention of traumatic headache, dizziness and fatigue with creatine administration. A pilot study (Acta Paediatrica)
- Long-chain omega-3 fatty acids and headache in the U.S. population30072-3/fulltext) (Prostaglandins, Leukotrienes & Essential Fatty Acids)
- Dietary alteration of n-3 and n-6 fatty acids for headache reduction in adults with migraine: randomized controlled trial (BMJ)
- Effect of omega-3 fatty acids on premenstrual syndrome: A systematic review and meta-analysis (Obstetrics & Gynaecology)
- Effect of Peppermint and Eucalyptus Oil Preparations on Neurophysiological and Experimental Algesimetric Headache Parameters (Cephalalgia)
- Herbal treatments for migraine: A systematic review of randomised-controlled studies (Phytotherapy Research)